Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Appearances...

"Beauty is powerful...Beauty may be the most powerful thing on earth. Beauty speaks.  Beauty invites. Beauty nourishes.  Beauty comforts.  Beauty inspires.  Beauty is transcendent.  Beauty draws us to God.  As Simone Weil wrote, 'The beauty of the world is almost the only way by which we can allow God to penetrate us...Beauty captivates the senses in order to obtain permission to pass straight through to the soul...The soul's inclination to love beauty is the trap God most frequently uses in order to win it."  
"Captivating, pg 131-132"

This quote, along with this post put into words much better than I ever could why "decorating" my home is so important to me.   While I wouldn't say it's a "spiritual" effort, it does do my soul a lot of good to come home to a clean, nice looking home on a daily basis.  It allows my heart to sigh and recharge for the next encounter with the less obliging world!   Some pictures that will hopefully help you rest...







1 comment:

  1. yay! I love Incourage! such a good site! I really liked that lady's article and think it's so true. I remember in high school being the only one of my friends who had a job and i often missed out on fun events b/c of it. at times i was definitely bratty and felt left out and felt sorry for myself and stuff like that. but God used that situation to build a strong work ethic in me and really make me appreciate the value of a dollar. now there is NO way i won't have my kids have a part-time job in school! ha ha!

    and i love the Captivating quote- that is one of my all time favorite books and i think it's so true. sometimes i think we as women feel a little silly or foolish for caring so much about appearance and looks and although it's certainly not SUPER important, it does matter a bit- God wouldn't have given us beauty if it didn't, huh?

    thanks for the post- will definitely remember it in the coming months- we just put a contract on a house and decorating (cheaply!) is definitely in the future!

    ReplyDelete